Among Schengen Castle's historical treasures is a 13th century tower.
Schengen Castle appeared for the first time in historical writings in 1350. Changing hands a number of times, it was taken over by the industrialist Jean-Nicolas Zollamt.
Under Zollamt's ownership, a large section of the castle was demolished in 1812 to make way for the building one can see today - a construction which corresponds more to the definition of a mansion than a castle.
In 1939, the congregation of the Sisters of Saint Elisabeth settled in the castle, using it as a holiday and conference centre. Some 70 years later, the castle was converted to a hotel, which later closed in 2004.
Within the medieval walls, a 13th century tower still remains, which has been added to the list of historical monuments in the Grand Duchy. The castle is also known for being the site where the Schengen accords were signed, as well as having once hosted Victor Hugo.
The 5,000 m2 property and the surrounding 1.3 hectares of land have belonged to a Luxembourgish businessman since 2016.
ABOUT THE SERIES
In this popular series, RTL photographer Domingos Oliveira takes you to hidden places, lesser known locations and buildings with an interesting story.
1) The first instalment captured the last moment of the agricultural centre in Mersch.
2) We then visited Zenningen Zoo, which was closed in the early 80s.
3) Our third trip took us to Hesperange's eery swimming pool which now looks like the setting for an apocalyptic film.
4) The fourth photo series targeted the veritable ghost town "Cité Syrdall."
5) We also visited the iconic cinema Ariston in Esch, which opened in 1962 and closed in 2016. The cinema's history is an eventful one - from erotic films to youth theatre.
6) In the sixth instalment, we took a trip down memory lane and revisited pictures of Luxembourg City's former "centre Aldringen," an underground parking lot and cultural hub that gave way to Centre Hamilius.
7) The seventh gallery in the series took us to Luxembourg's former police museum.
8) And in the 8th instalment we got to take a look at a cemetery for old fire engines.
9) The 9th gallery visited the Lentilles Terres Rouges site in Esch.
10) The 10th instalment explored the old ArcelorMittal works in Esch and Schifflange.
11) The 11th photo series resulted in fantastic views of Birtrange Castle.
12) The 12th trip was the Deisermillen mill in Grevenmacher.
13) For the 13th instalment, we looked at the old Diekirch brewery.