
According to the deputy headmaster of Lycée Ermesinde in Mersch, the persistent violence against students from the school has stopped.
Students from other schools had regularly travelled to Mersch to insult and physically assault local students.
After several parents brought the case to the media's attention, Minister of Education Claude Meisch confirmed the claims during a question-and-answer session at the Chamber of Deputies on Thursday. Several measures have since been implemented, and the situation has reportedly calmed down.
Philippe Demart, deputy headmaster of Lycée Ermesinde, said there have been no attacks for nearly a week. He explained that for two to three weeks prior, two students were regularly insulted and beaten on their way from the school to the railway station. According to Demart, this also led to friends of the two students and parents becoming directly or indirectly involved. Parents informed the school administration, which immediately contacted the police, the local council, and the Luxembourg National Railway Company (CFL). Teaching staff subsequently carried out reinforced checks on the school's forecourt.
Demart stated that there was no "visible threat." The school believes the troublemakers were younger students who periodically lingered in front of the school, as well as along the route between the school and the station.
Demart added that the culprits were definitely not students from Lycée Ermesinde. While their school of origin remains unknown, Demart said Ettelbruck was allegedly mentioned several times. The reason for the aggressions also remains unclear.
According to Tom Heger, deputy director of the Regional Directorate Centre-East, the police took immediate action after being informed by the school. He explained that Mersch police already patrol the local station and surrounding area daily. However, after the incidents were reported, police presence at Mersch station was increased during specific times.
At times, officers escorted students all the way from the secondary school to the station and were heavily insulted while doing so.
Meanwhile, the local council wrote to CFL earlier this week to request permission to install CCTV cameras in the underpass between the school and the station, as confirmed by Mayor Michel Malherbe. He stated that since the land belongs to CFL, the council deemed it proper to request permission from the landowner.
Education Minister Meisch stated in the Chamber of Deputies that the secondary schools where the culprits are enrolled have taken disciplinary measures, although it is not known which ones.