Belgian High Fens firesMPs question Luxembourg alert response due to poor air quality risks

Marlène Clement
adapted for RTL Today
Several MPs are pressing the Home Affairs Ministry over whether citizens were warned soon enough about the air-quality impact of the forest fires in the Belgian High Fens, after Sunday's first LU-Alert notification referred only to an "unpleasant smell".
View from Derenbach towards the north on 16 August 2026
View from Derenbach towards the north on 16 August 2026
© Didier Andres

Did the Luxembourg authorities inform citizens early enough about the effects on air quality caused by the forest fires in the High Fens? A number of deputies, including from the Christian Social People's Party CSV parliamentary group, want the Home Affairs Ministry to answer that question on Monday. The fact that an initial alert on Sunday afternoon referred only to an "unpleasant smell" caused a stir.

The first notification was sent out via the LU-Alert system shortly before 3pm. At that stage there was no recommendation to take steps to protect oneself from the smoke. The main aim, Alain Becker, head of the Directorate-General for Civil Security at the Home Affairs Ministry, explained when asked, had been to inform citizens rather than send them into a panic. Continuous updates and information were also being made available on the LU-Alert website.

At the time the alert was issued, there was no immediate danger to the public. After an evaluation cell met on Sunday afternoon, residents were urged, at around 8pm and via LU-Alert, to keep their doors and windows closed as a precautionary measure. Several municipalities and weather services had already issued the same advice.

Becker said the authorities were aware that they were sometimes accused of reacting less quickly than others. Even so, he pointed out, it also falls to the state to take measures and issue decisions that can then have real consequences for society at large, which is why it is important to take a step back and assess.

De Chef vun der Direktioun vun der Sécurité Civile am Inneministère, den Alain Becker, de 17. August 2026.
De Chef vun der Direktioun vun der Sécurité Civile am Inneministère, den Alain Becker, de 17. August 2026.
© Marlène Clement

Fine dust threshold exceeded

On Monday morning, an interministerial evaluation cell met again to review the situation. The daily threshold for fine dust had also been exceeded in the Grand Duchy. That was confirmed by the High Commissioner for National Protection in a press release issued on Monday afternoon. The recommendation to keep windows and doors closed and to limit outdoor activities to a strict minimum therefore remains in place, particularly for vulnerable groups. By Tuesday, the concentration of fine dust should ease again, the statement added.

The government said it would continue to closely follow developments and respond if additional action becomes necessary. An interministerial crisis unit is already in place.

Health Minister Martine Deprez and High Commissioner for National Protection Guy Bley were not available for interview. Even so, no additional patients had turned up at emergency departments with respiratory problems, the CSV minister made clear to RTL.

According to the government, the measures currently in place are considered appropriate for the present situation, and no new measures are envisaged at this stage.

No current health risk, says CHL specialist

There is currently no health risk, according to Dr Gil Wirtz, head of the pulmonology service at the CHL. While the pollution may cause mild symptoms such as burning eyes or a scratchy throat, he said, it would not lead to long-term lung problems. The risk would of course rise if the pollution persisted or intensified. People with chronic lung conditions in particular could develop breathing difficulties as a result.

Watch the interviews in Luxembourgish

Brand am Héije Venn: Kee Gesondheetsrisiko trotz schlechter Loftqualitéit
Dem Chef vum Service Pneumologie am CHL Gil Wirtz no kéint et zu liichte Symptomer wéi Brennen an den Aen a Krazen am Hals kommen, awer net zu Longeproblemer.
Héich Venn: Feier am Nordoste bleift weider schwéier ze läschen
Virun allem am Nordoste vum Gebitt hätt ee weider Schwieregkeeten, wéinst engem komplizéierten Accès un d'Flamen erunzekommen.

Back to Top
CIM LOGO