Jean-Marc Sirichai Kiesch, nickname 'Siri', was 17 years old when he killed an elderly woman in Eppeldorf in 1999.

For this crime, the young man was sentenced to 20 years in prison, five of which suspended. During an authorised leave from prison, Sirichai Kiesch seized the opportunity and escaped. The authorities were unable to locate him for 16 years, and even issued an international warrant for his arrest in the final years. His picture is featured on the "most wanted fugitives" section on Europol's website.

Punta Umbria: A new home

In southern Spain, a local resident of the small town of Punta Umbria (Huelva Province) recognises him and his location is revealed to both the Luxembourgish authorities and Europol. Following a close cooperation between the Luxembourgish and Spanish units of ENFAST (European Network on Fugitive Active Search Teams), 'Siri' is finally arrested on 10 August 2020.

However, in September 2021, he was released again. The argument put forward by the Spanish judicial authorities: He was a minor on the day of the crime. Indeed, the crime took place one day before his 18th birthday.

40 years old and a father

Currently, the 40-year-old man is free and lives in Andalusia with his girlfriend and their nearly two-year-old daughter in the quiet fishing town of Punta Umbria.

After a lengthy investigation, an RTL team managed to locate the man and spoke to him about his crime, his escape, his life in freedom, and his take on his potential return to prison.

During his interview with RTL, Sirichai Kiesch repeatedly states that he wants to "settle his debt" and that "there is no future without making peace with the past".

"My crime cannot be forgiven!", he says today.

Video report in Luxembourgish:

Regarding his years as a fugitive, Sirichai Kiesch explains that he lived on the street and even had a couple of encounters with the police.

After his escape, his first stop was Brussels. From there, he made his way to Metz and then to Paris. In the French capital, he lived in a shell construction and was once caught red-handed while stealing food in a supermarket. During that first run-in with the police, Sirichai Kiesch states that he immediately thought "now I'll have to go back to prison". However, because he did not have any documentation on him, the French police simply told him that he had ten days to leave the country. Sirichai Kiesch states that he himself was surprised by this turn of events.

He thus continued his escape to Spain, his first stop being Barcelona. When he arrived in Spain, Sirichai Kiesch recounts that he went to the police and temporarily received Spanish documents.

Shortly after his arrival in Spain, Sirichai Kiesch met a young woman, who is still his girlfriend to this day.

To get by, he worked illegally on construction sites, as a painter, technician, or at a beach bar, Sirichai Kiesch states, acknowledging that it is not difficult to work illegally in Spain.

As to how he managed to evade the authorities for 16 years, he explains that he "never really went into hiding". He never changed his name, stating that: "I have always remained Siri and everybody knows me by that name, even today".

Sirichai Kiesch explains that he went to sleep every day thinking "tomorrow they will get you", and when the authorities finally arrested him in 2020, he "almost felt relieved".

3,275 days left to serve…

When it comes to his immediate future, even Sirichai Kiesch himself does not know what to expect. Luxembourg's judicial authorities had submitted a request to their Spanish counterparts, asking for Sirichai Kiesch to serve the remaining 3,275 days (roughly nine years) of his sentence in his new home country, Spain.

On 10 September, the Spanish authorities replied that they are unable to fulfil that request.

During his interview with RTL, Sirichai Kiesch himself stated that he would be willing to go back to prison if it meant putting his past behind him and live his life with his girlfriend and daughter in peace. However, so far, he has not voluntarily reached out to Schrassig Prison.

A second interview with Luxembourg's Prosecutor General Martine Solovieff will focus on the judicial aspect of the case.