Planning a long-term move to Luxembourg? Here’s everything you need to know about getting a residency permit in the Grand Duchy.

EU citizens

It’s safe to say that it is far easier to move to Luxembourg if you’re a national of an EU member state.

If you’re employed, self-employed, a student, a family member of another EU citizen, or even a non-working person with proof of means of subsistence and health insurance, you are free to move to Luxembourg.

When you get to Luxembourg, you must make a declaration of arrival at your local communal administration centre within 8 days, presenting your passport or identity card, and if necessary proof of family ties or marriage.

Within three months of your arrival, you must then fill in a registration certificate. This requires proof of your employment contract, a licence to practice a self-employed activity or business contract, a declaration of sufficient resources and health insurance or proof of registration with an educational institution, depending on your status.

For family members wishing to join others in Luxembourg, documentation will be needed, such as a marriage certificate (for spouses), birth certificate (for children), proof of care or financial support (for parents) or proof of a long-term relationship in the case a couple is not married.

Once this process has been completed, you will receive a registration certificate, which is valid for an unlimited period. Once an EU citizen has resided in Luxembourg for 5 years, they become eligible for permanent residency.

It’s important to note that if you are forced to rely on the welfare system before acquiring permanent residency, you may lose your right to reside.

Non-EU citizens

Getting a residency permit in Luxembourg is far harder for non-EU nationals.

There are a variety of hurdles to get over, depending on your nationality and if you are:

A salaried worker or employee


A highly-qualified worker otherwise known as the European Blue Card

A researcher

A student

Other (seasonal workers, sportspeople, trainees, au pairs)

However, there are some common traits to the application process.

Before entering Luxembourg, non-EU nationals must apply for a temporary authorisation to stay in the country from a Luxembourg diplomatic or consular representation and a Schengen long stay visa (Visa D), which usually costs 50 euros.

After arriving, they must also complete a declaration of arrival and residence permit application, as well as performing a medical check-up.

You can find all the information on acquiring a residence permit on the Luxembourg website here.

There’s also a special information page for British nationals after Brexit here.