Liverpool striker Isak expected Newcastle abuse, says Iraola

AFP
Liverpool manager Andoni Iraola
Liverpool manager Andoni Iraola
© AFP

Andoni Iraola insisted Alexander Isak was not affected by the hostile reception from Newcastle fans despite his misfiring display in Sunday's 2-2 draw at St James' Park.

Isak was subjected to deafening boos and labelled "greedy" in an x-rated chant that was given repeated airings by Newcastle fans through his first return to Tyneside since joining Liverpool last year.

One crunching tackle from Lewis Hall that left Isak writhing on the turf was greeted with a roar almost as loud as reaction to Newcastle's goals.

The Sweden star's acrimonious £125 million ($170 million) switch to Anfield was a flop last season as he struggled with injuries and poor form.

On the evidence of his woeful finishing and tepid performance against Newcastle, it is far from certain he will finally start repaying his hefty price tag this season either.

Liverpool salvaged a draw from Iraola's first game in charge regardless of Isak's woes.

And the new Reds boss said the 26-year-old had expected the merciless reception from the Toon Army.

"I think he expected a bit the atmosphere, it was not a big surprise for him," Iraola said.

"He has tried everything, given us good positions on the ball, has had a couple of situations to finish in the box but not the clearest but I value that he has continued pushing, fighting."

With the defensive flaws that plagued them last season once again on full display, Liverpool were just seconds away from starting the Iraola era with a defeat.

Anthony Elanga put Newcastle ahead early on before Cody Gakpo equalised soon after the interval.

- 'Mixed feelings' -

Joe Willock's goal immediately after coming off the bench restored Newcastle's advantage.

But Hall's clumsy tackle on Victor Munoz deep into stoppage-time conceded a penalty that Dominik Szoboszlai lashed into the roof of the net.

Iraola, hired from Bournemouth to replace the sacked Arne Slot in the close-season, breathed a sigh of relief.

"We scored at the end, so probably you have a better taste. But before the game we wouldn't have signed for this result," he said.

Newcastle's new manager Matthias Jaissle was left to rue the "soft" decision that cost him a season-opening win.

Jaissle, appointed following Eddie Howe's surprise resignation earlier in August, had conflicting emotions after his first game in charge.

"It was indeed a game of mixed feelings, especially in the end when you get a decision, two points away, it is really hard to digest," Jaissle said.

"For me it is a really soft penalty as you call it here, if you give these penalties then you need to give a lot in the season.

"But there is also a lot of confidence and we are really proud of what we saw, the young lads were doing an amazing job with all the challenges of a transition period."

Jaissle was encouraged by the way Newcastle out-played Liverpool for long periods despite the absence of injured stars Dan Burn and Joelinton.

"This was special, already delivering on a high level and it makes us proud. We've a really good base to build on," he said.

smg/nf

Back to Top
CIM LOGO