
The man was also charged with rape, the Metz prosecutor’s office said on Tuesday.
The couple, a 43-year-old man and his 38-year-old partner, had been staying with their victim in Hagondange in the Moselle department of France since late January. The victim was a 56-year-old quadriplegic woman.
The Metz public prosecutor’s office did not give any further details on the nature of their relationship but explained that things had “rapidly degenerated”.
The couple was arrested on 8 February following a violent altercation at the victim’s home.
The victim claimed to have been kidnapped and gagged from 1 to 6 February, Deputy Prosecutor Thomas Bernard told AFP. During the same period, her credit card was stolen.
The man is also under investigation for rape, believed to have been committed in late January.
The couple was presented to an investigating judge last week. They have been remanded in custody.