Find all of today's most important Covid developments both at home and abroad in one place.
Starting with Luxembourg
- The latest figures from Luxembourg show that of 335 new cases coronavirus were discovered over the last 24 hours.
- New measures could be put in place for hospital visitors as early as next week, according to Dr Philippe Turk.
- The Minister of Education confirmed on Friday that new measures would be introduced in schools to cope with rising infections.
- According to recent analysis by the Luxembourg Institute of Science and Technology (LIST), traces of the virus have appeared more frequently in the country's wastewater plants.
- Laboratories across Luxembourg are noticing that more and more people need or want to be tested.
- Prime Minister Xavier Bettel and Minister of Health Paulette Lenert are holding a press briefing on Monday at 5pm.
- South African sport was thrown into turmoil on Friday following the announcement of travel bans following the discovery of a new strain of coronavirus in the country.
- Helpless and furious, South African tour operators are flooded with cancellations as countries follow Britain's decision to ban travel from the region over the discovery of a new coronavirus variant.
- The Netherlands will tighten its partial Covid lockdown on Friday with the early closure of bars, restaurants and shops, as police prepare for possible new riots against the curbs.
- Belgium said Friday it has detected the first announced case in Europe of the new Covid-19 variant, in an unvaccinated person returning from abroad.
- Germany's BioNTech said Friday it was urgently studying how well the coronavirus vaccine it developed with Pfizer protects against the new B.1.1.529 variant detected in South Africa.
- Europe rushed to ban travel from southern Africa on Friday to slow the spread of a new Covid-19 strain that scientists fear could torpedo efforts to beat the pandemic.
- Singapore and Malaysia will restrict arrivals from seven African countries, health officials said Friday, after South Africa discovered a new Covid-19 variant with a large number of mutations.
- Holders Spain suffered a blow to their title defence before hitting a ball in anger with Carlos Alcaraz in quarantine after testing positive for Covid-19.